A HISTORICAL TIMELINE OF THE LIFE AND LEGACY OF HARVEY S. FIRESTONE
Some people are born into wealth and prosperity. Others pave their own way….
Firestone Family Timeline
- 1828: The Firestone homestead is built by Nicolas Firestone in Columbiana, Ohio.
- 1868: Harvey Firestone is born.
- 1882: Firestone homestead is renovated.
- 1887: Harvey Firestone graduates from Columbiana High School.
- 1900: Harvey Firestone moves to Akron, Ohio and creates Firestone Tire and Rubber Company.
- 1919: The U.S. Army Transcontinental Motor Convoy, lead by Lt. Colonel Dwight D. Eisenhower, stops at the farm.
- 1933: Harvey Firestone donates 52 acres for, what is now known as, Firestone Park.
- 1953: The Firestone Test Center is opened, adjacent to the family farm.
- 1965: Harvey Firestone’s descendants and the Columbiana Historical Society renovate the original homestead.
- 1983: The homestead is moved to Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan.
In 1828, Nicolas Firestone, grandfather to Harvey S. Firestone, built a farm in Columbiana, Ohio. The farm raised sheep, and also harvested oats, hay, corn, and wheat. In 1882, the homestead was renovated to reflect a more stylish and up-to-date look. New furniture, the addition of rooms, and wallpaper were all part of the renovations.